Actor-turned-entrepreneur, Shilpa Shetty is one of the most glamorous actresses in Bollywood who is also popularly referred to as the ‘Yoga Queen’.
Since making her debut in the film Baazigar in 1993, she appeared in a number of hits including Main Khiladi Tu Anari, Dhadkan & Phir Milenge; but it was her participation in UK's Celebrity Big Brother 5, that catapulted her to international fame.
She became a household name in the UK after winning the reality show Celebrity Big Brother 5 in 2007 & won a million hearts for the way she handled racism with grace & dignity.
The actress with a black belt in Karate, also launched her fitness Yoga DVD in 2015 which especially became popular with new mothers wanting to get back in shape post delivery.
Shilpa received acclaim for her role in Dhadkan in 2000, followed by the film Rishtey in 2002 with Anil Kapoor and Karisma Kapoor where her comic performance as an eccentric fisherwoman was appreciated.
Her movie Life in a.. Metro received highly positive critical reviews and became the first Bollywood movie to premiere at Leicester Square, London in 2007.
In 2015, she co-authored a book The Great Indian Diet with fitness expert Luke Coutinho. The health & fitness book topped Amazon's bestseller list & continues to remain one of the highest selling books in the health segment.
Starting out as the co-owner of an IPL team Rajasthan Royals, Shilpa delved into a string of businesses including the launch of ‘Best Deal TV’, India's first celebrity-driven TV commerce channel.
May 2019 , Shilpa who is a fitness enthusiast, launched a holistic wellness app, ‘The Shilpa Shetty app’, which features yoga routines, functional training, special regimes and daily nutrition charts for each program.She made a comeback in the movie Hungama 2 in 2021, starring Meezan Jafri, Paresh Rawal and Ashutosh Rana.
Awards and Accomplishments
Awards and Accomplishments
- Shilpa received the Indian ‘Diva of the Year’ by SaharaOne Television viewers in 2005.
- She won the Silver Star Award for her ‘Outstanding Contribution to Humanitarian Causes’ in 2007.
- Shilpa won the ‘IIFA Special Award for Global Impact’ in 2007.
- She received the ‘Rajiv Gandhi Award’ in 2007.
- She received the ‘Honorary Doctorate’ by the University of Leeds in 2007.
- She won ‘Best Actor in a Supporting Role – Female’ for Life in a.. Metro in 2008.
- She won ‘The GR8! Achiever Laurel’ at Indian Television Academy Awards in 2008 for Celebrity Big Brother 5.
- In 2009 She was among the 10 recipients of the IIFA-FICCI Frames Awards for the ‘Most Powerful Entertainers of the Decade’.
- She has received an award for her humanitarian work for the ‘Hero to Animals Award’ by PETA in 2017.
- She was on the cover of the first issue of OK! Magazine to be sold in India.
Why Shilpa Shetty ?
An actor, mother, homemaker, entrepreneur, wellness aficionado and fitness enthusiast, Shilpa Shetty is a vivacious personality. With a career spanning over three decades, her journey has been very interesting. From an acquainted film career to fighting racism with utmost grace and dignity to promoting healthy lifestyle, Shilpa has made a mark for herself meticulously.