Ashish Hemrajani is the CEO and Co-founder of BookMyShow, India's number 1 online ticket booking platform for concerts, movies, plays, sports and live events. He founded Bigtree Entertainment, the parent company of BookMyShow, in 1999.
The idea of making an online ticket booking venture originated when he was listening to a radio program about Rugby ticket promotion. At that very time, an idea struck into his mind and he started investing his time and effort to build an online ticket booking service in India.
In 1999, he founded Bigtree Entertainment Pvt. Ltd, and despite the dot-com bust in 2001, his start-up survived. With the growth of multiplexes and increased credit/debit card penetration in the country, Ashish and his team launched BookMyShow in 2007.
The company also sells tickets for sporting events such as the IPL and ISL, among others, and has expanded its operations to Dubai, Indonesia, Singapore, and Sri Lanka.
BookMyShow also gives back to society through the charity initiative of the organization BookASmile, which has positively impacted millions of lives across the country and continues to generate smiles among the less fortunate sections of society.
In 2017, BookMyShow made a deal with PVR worth Rs 1000 crore to sell unsold tickets online, which benefitted them by increasing profits and reach.
Under his leadership, they took the market by storm, by bringing Cinema biggies like PVR, INOX & Cinepolis on the portal.
Awards and Accomplishments
Awards and Accomplishments
- ‘The Hottest Company of the Year-2011-12’ and ‘The Company to watch out for’ at the CNBC Young Turks Award.
- Received ‘Executive of the Year’ 2018 at The Ticketing Business Awards held at Emirates Old Trafford, Manchester, England.
- Received the prestigious ‘BW Applause Person of The Year Award’ in 2019 in the 2nd edition of the award ceremony.
- ‘Best Omni-Channel Customer Experience Brand’ at the OneDirect Quest Customer Experience (QuestCX) Awards.
- Became the official ticketing partner for Mumbai Indians, Kings XI Punjab, Delhi Daredevils, Pune Warriors, and Rajasthan Royals in IPL.
- Became the exclusive ticketing partner for the Formula 1 race in India.
- 12 million downloads on Google Play Store with ratings of 4.3/5.
Why Ashish Hemrajani ?
Beyond his role at BookMyShow, Ashish is actively involved in supporting and mentoring other startups in India. He is a strong advocate for nurturing the startup ecosystem and has played a significant role in fostering innovation and entrepreneurship in the country.
His success story is an inspiring tale of entrepreneurship and disruption. His ability to identify a gap in the market, coupled with his relentless pursuit of excellence, has transformed the way Indians experience and book tickets for entertainment. Through BookMyShow, Ashish has left an indelible mark on the Indian entertainment industry and continues to shape the future of the ticketing landscape.