Harpal Singh Sokhi
Chef Harpal Singh Sokhi also known as ‘The Energy Chef of India’ is one of the sought-after chefs in India.With his jovial personality and trademark line ‘Namak Shamak’, Chef Harpal has been winning his audience with his fun loving and peppy nature on his TV show Turban Tadka. From working with several hotels and restaurant chains to opening his own chain of restaurants, Singh has marked his space in the culinary world.
Harpal Singh desired to pursue engineering as well as Indian Air Force but luckily came to know about a career in hotel management and graduated from Institute of Hotel Management, Bhubaneswar. He then started as a novice cook at “The Oberoi”, Bhubaneswar and emerged as an executive chef at the age of 27. Singh spent several years learning different cuisines. He learnt Hyderabadi cuisine from Begum Mumtaz Khan and Ustad Habib Pasha.
He worked as a chef with several restaurants including Vintage - a Hyderabadi speciality restaurant, Centaur Hotel Mumbai, The Regent Mumbai, The Regent Jakarta, Taj Land End, Bandra to name a few.
He presented the first episode of Khana Khazana aired on ZEE Television in 1993. Post that he launched his own show titled “Harpal ki Rasoi” aired on Nagpur’s Siti Cable TV.
In 1998, Harpal conceptualised and executed the opening of an Indian specialty restaurant Khazana in Dubai. He has also collaborated with Ching’s Secret.
Harpal has executed the business class menus on Singapore airlines for seven years and has promoted the “Ancient Indian Food” on Indian Airlines. He has also developed menus for Wockhardt Hospitals.
Harpal is one of the oldest associates of the celebrity chef Sanjeev Kapoor and together they have authored a book “Royal Hyderabadi Cooking”. He has taught a guest faculty member at the N. L. Dalmia Institute of Management, Studies and Research.
Harpal also hosted cooking shows like “Sirf Tees Minute”, “Kitchen Khiladi” aired on Food Channel. A roadside food show “Desh ka Swad” was hosted by him as well in the year 2014 for Zee. In the year 2016 Harpal participated in the famous celebrity dance show “Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa 9”.
Harpal Singh has opened 2 restaurants named “Twist of Tadka '' in Amritsar and Bengaluru.
Awards and Accomplishments
Awards and Accomplishments
- “Most Admired Celebrity Chef of the Year” by 94.3 MY FM in 2012
- “Special Recognition” by Tourism Fest in 2013
- “India-Australia Friendship Award” by The Australian-Indian Innovations INC for sharing Indian Culture & traditions with Victorian multicultural community in 2014
- “Special Recognition” for his contribution by Hospitality Convention in 2015
- “Best Chef of the Year” by Indian Restaurant Awards in 2016
- “Award of Honor” by Chef’s Association of 5 Rivers in 2016
- “Most Popular Food Show Host” by Food Food Channel in 2017
- “Special Recognition” for his outstanding contribution to the Food Industry by the Food & Hospitality Support Association of India
Why Harpal Singh Sokhi ?
Harpal Singh Sokhi’s passion and love for food reflects in his work significantly.
From his peppiness to his detailed instructions, his humorous style has made cooking easy and fun. A multi-faceted and versatile personality, he is a thorough entertainer and can engage any audience with his vibrant energy and stage presence.