Karan Johar, a renowned producer, screenwriter, director & actor, is one of the most celebrated personalities in Bollywood and is known for his unabashed words and quirky appearance.
He is famous for his many avatars, one of which is as a host for the famous TV show Koffee with Karan, a celebrity-based talk show where he interviews actors, directors, producers, & other prominent members from Bollywood.
Karan started his journey as an assistant director for Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge in 1995 and made his directorial debut with the blockbuster romance Kuch Kuch Hota Hai in 1998, which earned him the accolades.
His next films Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham in 2001 & Kabhi Alvida Naa Kehna in 2006, were very successful critically as well as commercially all over the world.
His film My Name Is Khan in 2010 became a major commercial success, and received rave reviews from critics who praised Johar's unconventional directorial style earning him multiple awards.
In 2012, he launched three actors, Alia Bhatt, Varun Dhawan and Siddharth Malhotra who are reigning stars in the industry today.
He has also acted in hit films like Dilwale Dulhania Le Jaayenge & Bombay Velvet and has worked as a costume designer for Shah Rukh Khan for several movies like Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge, Main Hoon Na, Veer-Zaara, Om Shanti Om to name a few.
He has been a judge on reality shows like Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa, India’s Got Talent, India’s Next Superstar, Hunarbaaza: Desh Ki Shaan among others.
He has been a producer under the banner ‘Dharma Productions’ & has produced several super hit films like Kal Ho Naa Ho, Dostana, I Hate Luv Storys, Agneepath, Yeh Jawaani Hai Deewani, 2 States, Kapoor & Sons, Raazi and many more.
Awards and Accomplishments
Awards and Accomplishments
- Karan won the ‘Best Director Award’ at Filmfare, Screen Awards, Zee Cine Awards and ‘Best Popular Film Providing Wholesome Entertainment’ at National Film Awards for Kuch Kuch Hota Hai.
- He won the ‘Best Costume Award’ at IIFA for Mohabbatein and Om Shanti Om.
- He won the ‘Best Dialogue’ at IIFA and Filmfare for Kabhi Khushi Kabhi Gham.
- He won the ‘Best Director Award’ at Filmfare, IIFA, Zee Cine Awards and PRoducers Guild Film Awards for My Name is Khan.
- He was chosen as one of ‘250 Global Young Leaders’ by the Geneva-based World Economic Forum 2006.
- He was the only other Indian apart from PM Manmohan Singh to be invited for the opening ceremony of the London Olympics
- In 2017, Karan was invited as cultural leader in the World Economic Forum.
- In 2020, Government of India honored him with ‘Padma Shri’, the country’s fourth highest civilian award.
Why Karan Johar ?
Karan Johar, a prominent name in the industry, has achieved success in each one of the many creative zones he has dabbled in. He has not just given blockbuster movies but has created heartfelt moments and cult dialogues that are etched in the hearts of millions. From larger-than-life movies to a highly addictive talk show, Karan Johar is one Bollywood personality that keeps his audience hooked.