Indian international cricketer, current captain of Indian national cricket team and of Mumbai Indians, Rohit Sharma’s achievements are soaring higher than ever.
Starting from gully cricket, Rohit initially began as an off-spinner and finally got into batting. He won the Harris and Giles Shield school cricket tournaments, scoring a century on debut as an opener under his coach Dinesh Lad.
Rohit made his mark in international cricket in 2007, when he led India to victory by scoring an unbeaten 50, off 40 deliveries, against South Africa in the 2007 ICC World Twenty20.
He is the highest individual scorer in an ODI match & the second Indian to score a century in all three formats(Test, ODI, T20). He is also the only player in the world to score two double hundreds in ODIs.
He plays for Mumbai in domestic cricket & is the captain of the Mumbai Indians team in the Indian Premier League. He is the first skipper to lead his team to the IPL title thrice.
In the 2015–16 tour of Australia, he scored two consecutive hundreds in the ODI series & a 99 in the final game. Having scored 441 runs in five games, he was the top-scorer & was named the Man-of-the-Series.
During the 2019 World Cup, he broke the record of most number of World Cup centuries. He also equalled the record for most centuries in World Cups with Sachin Tendulkar and also became only the fourth international batsman after Sachin Tendulkar (India - 2003), Mathew Hayden(Australia - 2007) and Shakib Al Hasan (Bangladesh - 2019) to score over 600 runs in a single edition of the World Cup.
In 2019, During a test match against South Africa he became the first batsman to score two centuries on debut as an opener.
Awards and Accomplishments
Awards and Accomplishments
- Rohit Sharma was honoured with the ‘Arjuna Award’ in 2015.
- As per Forbes India 2015 Top 100 celebrities in India, he is listed 8th in terms of fame & 12th overall.
- GQ award for ‘Sportsman of the Year’, 2015
- Name included in ICC ODI ‘Team of the Year’: 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2019.
- ICC ODI Player of the Year – 2019
- Awarded the ‘Golden Bat award’ for scoring the most number of runs in ICC Cricket World Cup 2019.
- Rohit Sharma won the ‘Sportsman of the year’ award from Indian Sports Honors in 2019
- In 2020, he was awarded ‘Major Dhyan Chand Khel Ratna Award’ the highest sports honour of the country.
Why Rohit Sharma ?
With intense hard work and determination, Rohit Sharma has marked a place in the cricket world. From gully cricket to the captain of Indian national cricket team, he has proved his merit everytime. His dedication towards his game and as a player of the Indian cricket team has been phenomenal in all his forms, be it batting, bowling or captaincy. Rohit is an inspiration and role model for the youth.